The hip joint refers to a ball and socket joint. It allows movement in all directions and acts as a weight-bearing part of the body. Some key factors like obesity, aging, pregnancy, and sports injuries cause stretching and wrenching to this joint. Therefore, if you want to know that how to pop your hip for instant relief then scroll down and keep reading.
In certain cases, a person’s hips feel that they are not aligned properly. Such a situation causes difficulty to gliding them with full motion. It means that they need to be cracked or popped in the right spot.
What happened during the popping?
The popping and cracking of joints are medically termed Crepitus. Our joints are enclosed in a capsule that contains synovial fluid. This fluid consists of gas-filled (N, O, CO2) air bubbles. When we stretch the joint, the air bubbles come into the space of the joint and burst. The bursting of air bubbles produces a popping or cracking sound. The fluid in the joint helps in lubrication and gas bubbles create pressure. On stretching, the instant flow of gas bubbles releases, and when they crack, fluid flows instantly. It releases pressure from joints and feels comfortable.
How to pop your hip for Instant Relief
According to its anatomy, the hip joint is more brittle and fragile. It anchors the acetabulum of the pelvis to the femur.
Here are some self-mobilization exercises that might give you satisfying pop or snap your hip. You can do them in your home, possibly even at the workplace. You don’t need any special equipment and you may give find the hip and pelvic tightness and pain relief in a little bit in thirty seconds.
Corkscrew Pelvic Exercise
You can do it any time, even in the mid of the night at the edge of the bed.
- First, you have to lie down on the bed in a straight position.
- Your legs should be cross the edge of the bed.
- One leg should be straight completely with the knee and the other leg should be bent at the right angle of the knee
- Your hand that crosses the edge of the bed, must be grabbed on the outside of the knee, and move the knee to cross the bed in a rotation of your lower back while keeping your upper body flat for this one. Just keep down the leg as you easily can.
- Now take the other hand in a straight position then rotate the hand and the upper body towards the upside direction of the body while pulling down the knee.
- There must be a couple of repetitions for 10-15 sec.
Standing Corkscrew Stretch
- Place your body straight and raise one leg (suggested to be the right leg).
- Your knee must be bent at 90° that your hip and knee should be in a nice straight line.
- Hold your knee from outside by left hand and rotate it to cross the body as much as you can.
- While doing this stretch, hopefully, you will get proper cracks by opening your lower back.
- You can also build coarsely stretch by twisting your upper body, keeping the right hand straight while the knee place on the right angle holding with the left hand.
- Keep your body in this position for 15 sec and then relaxed.
- Redo this stretch 5 times and for each repetition, take your body go away to pop your hip aptly.
Seated Pelvis Self Release Exercise
- Sit on a study chair one without wheels. Make sure to bear the pressure.
- The knees and hip are going to be in a straight line and the knees must be bent at 90°.
- Place the palms of your hand to the outside of the knees to do this isometric exercise.
- Drive the knees outward while your hands resist it.
- The knees should not be move at all because of those canceling forces.
- So just press the knees by your palms and hold for 5 sec and then relax.
- You must do this for five complete repetitions.
Butterfly stretches to pop the hip joint
One of the most useful exercises to crack your hips is butterfly stretches.
- Sit on the floor by holding position straight enough that your pelvis firmly attached to the floor
- Fold your legs that the soles of your feet touch each other.
- Move down your knees towards the floor by using the palm of both hands and breathe out.
- Retain your body in the same posture for few seconds, before smoothly alleviate the knees.
- Keep going these stretches for few seconds and take deep breaths while stretching.
- Stand vertical on the floor and keep your feet wide apart
- Lean-to the left and bent the left knee while keeping your right leg straight.
- Hold the pose for an instant after stretch, and hear a pop.
- Repeat the same procedure with the right side.
- You may also wear a resistant band on thighs while doing side lunge because it gives your body more flexibility to stretch.
Kneeling hip flexor stretch
- Kneel on the floor with a right knee at the right angle to the floor in the forward position.
- While the left knee flat against the floor towards the back
- Straight your back and contract the left glut gently.
- Move your torso in a forwarding direction until you feel a stretch.
- Repeat this action with the opposite side.
- Start with your hands and knees on a mat.
- Lift your forearms and straight your legs behind your trunk.
- Bring your right knee in the forward direction in the middle of both wrists and the thigh must be flat on the floor.
- Glide left leg behind to the body that the toes of your left foot are resting on the floor.
- Put the buttocks in a lower position and bring the left leg close to the mat as easily as possible.
- Hold the posture for 20-30 sec.
- Repeat the same procedure to the opposite side as well.
Risk Factors & Precautionary measures to pop your hip
When you start any exercise or physical activity, there are also some risk factors alongside. So here are some risk factors and precautionary measures to sort out the mystery of how to pop your hip for instant relief.
- Firstly you have to warm up your ball and socket joint for several minutes before giving it any stretch. The improper warmed joint may cause discomfort in popping and stretching.
- If you already feel pain, injury, or irritation in the hip joint, then try to avoid popping because it may cause severity in the situation. So always crack or pop the hip joint with great care and as safely as possible.
- To keep balancing the body is also a significant point. So make sure to maintain your body balance while cracking because in-balancing may cause a fracture to your pelvis.
- If you feel that your hips are going out of place then you must avoid some stretches. Certain stretches are painful and cause joint dislocation.
- An expert gives an objective view. So must seek advice from experts before going to any stretch.
When the popping of Pelvis is Safe?
The popping and the cracking sound of the joints will be okay if there is:
Causes of Hip-discomfort
Where you feel comfort by popping or cracking the hip joint, there are some causes of discomfort as well. Some are given as below:
Crepitus: Air bubble trap inside the joint during popping and cracking of the joints.
Overstretching: It causes losing the ligaments result in the colliding of bone fragments to each other.
Sciatica: The situation of pain, numbness, and weakness that moves along the sciatic nerve from the lower back to the buttocks.
Arthritis: It is the inflammation and tenderness of joints.
Bursitis: It terms for the irritation or inflammation in the sac of the bursa.
Tendinitis: It simply means the inflammation in tendons during any injury or some other reason.
Snapping-hip syndrome: It is the severe problem of hearing snapping or popping sounds while moving.
Hip labral tear: This condition happens when the labrum gets injured due to some structural issues, sports injuries, or degenerative tissues.
When to See a Doctor while popping your Hip
You have come to know that how to pop your hip for instant relief till now but here some certain severe reasons in this scenario when you need to see a doctor:
- When you feel any discomfort in the hip bone.
- You feel that your pelvis is misaligned probably.
- You suffer any sort of pain in the buttocks.
- You get any injury in the joints.
When your doctor diagnosed you, then he will give you proper medication and advice, e.g;
Due to inflammation in your hip joints, anti-inflammatory drugs have given. Corticosteroid injections have good efficacy in this regard.
Physical therapy is one of the best care to ease pain and aligned the joints in their exact spot to make them function properly. So you must go to an expert physical therapist.
Some NSAIDs like Aspirin, Naproxen, or Ibuprofen may be taken on prescribing your doctor.
You may take chiropractic care.
In the severe conditions of injury or fractured bone, surgery is the last option.
Take away to pop safely
If you feel stiffness or dislocation in your pelvic region, it means you need to stretch your hips to place them back in their actual form.
Focusing is necessary to gain your desired consequences. So you must be focused on controlled emotions while you want comfort by pop your hips.
While cracking, make sure to warm up the joints as appropriate.
You must take proper medication and consult your physician if any critical situation happens during popping.